PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin B6 And B12

bgomez
07-10-09, 05:12 PM
Hey guys!

So, I'm finally getting health insurance to get some help for the dizzies!!! If you ever read any of my other posts, you know that I was never able to afford the insurance, so I have been dealing with the MAV the holistic way. Well, the insurance does not kick in until November, so until then, I have to continue battling this the only way I know how: kicking and screaming! ha!

Anyway, the reason for this post is for some advice on B vitamins. When I went to the jerk of a neuro I was referred to, he said to take a B complex vitamin and magnesium. He said it would help minimize the ringing in my ears and might help with the headaches. Considering I am a vegetarian, it sounded like a good idea. Well, they never really did much for my symptoms, but I figured I would at least get the B12 I needed since it only comes from animals. Fast forward to last month, my mother sends me some literature she found on migraines. I tried explaining to her that many times, migraine remedies do not account for the vertigo. They tend to be for people who get just the headache with the aura once in a while, not like MAV (our 24/7 friend). She accused me of NOT wanting to get better, so I told her I would try some of their suggestions. one of the things they said was to take 600mg of B6 daily. So I bought a 300mg and took it two days ago. I only took 300mg. It also said to take 1000mg of B12 and take that daily, so I did and took it along side the B6. Let me tell you the nightmare that yesterday was!!! I woke up feeling like I OVERDOSED. It was the same feeling I had when I took excedrine migraine (which by the way, DO NOT TAKE!!). I thought I was going to die. The nausea was sooo intense, I was completely disconnected (more than usual), and my ears were ringing really loudly. I really thought I was going to have to go the ER! The floresent lighting at work did not help since I was even more photophobic than usual. It was just terrible. I went home and forced myself to eat since I had not eaten anything all day (it was about 4pm by this point). I did some research and according the trusty internet, it is dangerous to take more than 200mg of B6 daily. it is also easily obtained through green leafy veggies. Apperently, it can cause nerve damage if taken in high doses, but if you read migraine remedies, it suggests 600mg. WHAT?!!! I was just as confused! So who should I believe? I didn't take it last night, and I feel better today. I'm back to my old dizzy,nauseous self! yay!

Also, I was reading some girly magazine recently and saw an article about B12 deficiency. It said that some people can't absorb B12 so it builds up in their system. The symptoms are: headaches, dizziness, and nausea! I was like: WHAT!!! They also said that a normal blood test does not detect this. You have to have some special blood test. I through this out there not to say that this is what we have, but to show one more example of why this is soooo difficult to deal with. There are so many possibilities and unless our doctors tell us why its MAV and not something else, things like this make us wonder. It definitely makes me wonder since I am not getting B12 from anywhere else, took 1000mg in one day felt like death!

Anyone else had some vitamin experiences? Good or bad? I really don't know if I want to take them again. I'm a little scared, and without treatment, the MAV has taken over completely. It feels like I was sitting on top of a big bowl of jello, and now I am IN THE JELLO!!! I don't want to go back to harsh drugs though!!! That topamax scared me soooo much. The side effects were too intense. The amitriptyline sucked too. I don't want my life to be one big medicine coma....

I would appreciate some suggestions on how to deal with this until I can get to the neuro. I'm really fed up, and loosing hope that I am ever going to get rid of this.

~B

dizzytink
07-10-09, 07:41 PM
Oh poor B, that sounds terrible! I think for a lot of us it is some sort of chemical/neurotransmitter imbalance that becomes hard to return to its optimal state. The brain seems to get stuck overfiring. It's almost as if this illness freaks out the brain and it just remains freaked out. I feel that drugs are not the way either and that through diet and exercise and positive life style the brain can slowly return to a better homeostasis. But this is so complex and everybody is different. For what it is worth. I have been trying to deal with MAV holistically, not sure if that's what my problem is. But I have been doing the diet very strictly including no nuts, raisins and avocado, and taking magnesium, iodine, b complex, c, fish oil, and forcing myself to take walks and exercise. I have had two slightly better days in the past couple of weeks. That's better than nothing, I suppose!

Further suggestions for women with migraines, that it might be hormonal imbalance. http://www.migraine-headaches-information.com/ Jones runs a headache clinic for women in Texas, but makes an interesting claim that migraines may come from hormonal imbalance since more women than men have these problems. He recommends supporting with bioidentical progesterone, iodine, magnesium and some other stuff. If you want more info, I can send you.

Miss Dizzy
07-10-09, 08:19 PM
Hi B and dear Tink... I also have a neuro soon and not sure whether to look forward to it or not. Also what you say B about vitamin B12 deficiency. I had something show up with mine a few years ago. The doctor said it wasn't anything to worry about now, but may affect me when I'm older?! Not sure what she was referring to but you've just jogged my memory with it. I know my Grandmother used to have pernicious aneamia, in fact I think she may have died from complications with it. I'm just wondering whether its a route I should continue investigating or am I moving in to hypochondriac territory?!

bgomez
07-10-09, 09:09 PM
haha! That's funny miss dizzy... I always wonder whether I'm looking into things too much too, but then if I don't, I feel like I missing information.

Dizzytink, I definitely feel like my hormones are not helping my situation. No to get personal, but when I get my period, all hell breaks loose. It's like someone spins the room faster just drains me completely of energy!! UGGGGGHH!!!! GGGGRRRR!! That's my "I'm going to kick its butt" growl...ha!

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not quite sure what to do. I think I'm going to try the B12 on its own tonight and see what happens. That's other other thing... I take them at night before I go to bed. I forget otherwise. I don't know if I'm doing myself hard by doing so, but does your body really know what time it is?

~B

dizzytink
08-10-09, 12:07 AM
B-Sounds like getting the hormones a little bit better under control might help, so I would check out the Andrew Jones website. I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that with B vitamins, it is better to take them together rather than separately because they work synergistically. And if you have too much of one, it causes a deficiency in the other, but maybe I am wrong. Here is Dr. Weil's website and he will tell you what supplements to take based on a questionnaire, if you are interested. https://www2.drweil.com/drw/ecs/Va2/tsa/landing03.html Some vitamins are better taken with food. I usually reserve calcium/magnesium for night for sleeping.

Miss D-I heard from someone in my dance class that they knew someone who had dizziness that was cured when they treated, it was either with B6 or B12, don't remember, but it would be worth looking into.

jeannine
08-10-09, 01:15 AM
My neurologist had also recommended the B6/B12 combination - kind soul that he is, never told me what dose. Anyway, I took that along with the rest of my pills: magnesium, ginger, gingko biloba, fish oil, Vit C, Vit E. L-lysine, glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM, and, of course, a multiple vitamin! I feel like I'm a drug addict! But... I don't think there's anything there that would do any damage. Anyway, I have probably been taking the B6/B12 combo for a few months - I don't think there's been any big change. Of course, this condition improves at such a glacial pace - who knows. I DEFINITELY take it in the morning with food!

I try to think back... 1 year ago... how did I feel... its hard to remember back. But, I think what's happening is that I'm getting longer and longer periods of the day in which I feel good. One year ago, my VR therapist asked me how often I feel 'well'. I looked at her with a very strange expression and told her never! But, then I re-thought and remembered that I felt well when I slept! Anyway, I probably feel 'well' more than 50% of the day now, and some things are getting easier to do. So... do the supplements help? They couldn't hurt.

Jeannine

Miss Dizzy
09-10-09, 11:58 AM
haha! That's funny miss dizzy... I always wonder whether I'm looking into things too much too, but then if I don't, I feel like I missing information.

Dizzytink, I definitely feel like my hormones are not helping my situation. No to get personal, but when I get my period, all hell breaks loose. It's like someone spins the room faster just drains me completely of energy!! UGGGGGHH!!!! GGGGRRRR!! That's my "I'm going to kick its butt" growl...ha!

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not quite sure what to do. I think I'm going to try the B12 on its own tonight and see what happens. That's other other thing... I take them at night before I go to bed. I forget otherwise. I don't know if I'm doing myself hard by doing so, but does your body really know what time it is?

~B

B, my hormones were giving me around two weeks of migrainish, periodistic hell... I don't know if you take a pill but all has vanished since I have changed to progesterone only (desogestrel or Cerazette). I've got my life back. I just couldn't even function around my period plus the accelerated dizzes and extreme lightheadedness along with complete depletion of energy.

Thanks also all, it might be worth mentioning my past blood tests with the B12 thing.

bgomez
09-10-09, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the advice jeannine! The bottles do say to take this stuff with food, but I always forget. I was taking a vitamin "cocktail" for a while a few months back. I didn't notice much a difference, but like you said, it's really slow progress. I think I will give it a try again, and try my hardest to be patient with the change. I was taking ginko for memory and ginger for the nausea until I realized that the capsules I was taking had GELATIN in them!! I freaked! No big deal for most people, but being a vegetarian, it's the most disgusting thing in the world! I haven't looked for new ones yet. I had given up on the more holistic side of remedies, but I think it's time to give them a second chance. I have nothing to loose, right?

Miss D and Tink, I think when I get my insurance going, I am definitely going to have them look into my hormones. The whole period thing sucks soooo bad! It definitely is the most difficult time of my life. The headaches are different, and much more painful. Thanks for the website dizzytink! I'm going to check it out right after I post this. I'm willing to try something new =)

The other thing I am going to do is get back on the MAV diet. It's so sad that all my favorite things are my triggers! CHOCOLATE!!! YUM!! I'm drinking hot chocolate (non-dairy) right now, and I'm having some really sharp pains above my right eye. Here comes the migraine.... Uhg!! It's hard to have self control, you know? The diet is really strict! Oh well, the pain isn't worth it.... I say that I sip on my hot chocolate... YUM! hahaha!

~B

WiLdOrCa
11-10-09, 01:50 AM
Hey guys!

So, I'm finally getting health insurance to get some help for the dizzies!!! If you ever read any of my other posts, you know that I was never able to afford the insurance, so I have been dealing with the MAV the holistic way. Well, the insurance does not kick in until November, so until then, I have to continue battling this the only way I know how: kicking and screaming! ha!

Anyway, the reason for this post is for some advice on B vitamins. When I went to the jerk of a neuro I was referred to, he said to take a B complex vitamin and magnesium. He said it would help minimize the ringing in my ears and might help with the headaches. Considering I am a vegetarian, it sounded like a good idea. Well, they never really did much for my symptoms, but I figured I would at least get the B12 I needed since it only comes from animals. Fast forward to last month, my mother sends me some literature she found on migraines. I tried explaining to her that many times, migraine remedies do not account for the vertigo. They tend to be for people who get just the headache with the aura once in a while, not like MAV (our 24/7 friend). She accused me of NOT wanting to get better, so I told her I would try some of their suggestions. one of the things they said was to take 600mg of B6 daily. So I bought a 300mg and took it two days ago. I only took 300mg. It also said to take 1000mg of B12 and take that daily, so I did and took it along side the B6. Let me tell you the nightmare that yesterday was!!! I woke up feeling like I OVERDOSED. It was the same feeling I had when I took excedrine migraine (which by the way, DO NOT TAKE!!). I thought I was going to die. The nausea was sooo intense, I was completely disconnected (more than usual), and my ears were ringing really loudly. I really thought I was going to have to go the ER! The floresent lighting at work did not help since I was even more photophobic than usual. It was just terrible. I went home and forced myself to eat since I had not eaten anything all day (it was about 4pm by this point). I did some research and according the trusty internet, it is dangerous to take more than 200mg of B6 daily. it is also easily obtained through green leafy veggies. Apperently, it can cause nerve damage if taken in high doses, but if you read migraine remedies, it suggests 600mg. WHAT?!!! I was just as confused! So who should I believe? I didn't take it last night, and I feel better today. I'm back to my old dizzy,nauseous self! yay!

Also, I was reading some girly magazine recently and saw an article about B12 deficiency. It said that some people can't absorb B12 so it builds up in their system. The symptoms are: headaches, dizziness, and nausea! I was like: WHAT!!! They also said that a normal blood test does not detect this. You have to have some special blood test. I through this out there not to say that this is what we have, but to show one more example of why this is soooo difficult to deal with. There are so many possibilities and unless our doctors tell us why its MAV and not something else, things like this make us wonder. It definitely makes me wonder since I am not getting B12 from anywhere else, took 1000mg in one day felt like death!

Anyone else had some vitamin experiences? Good or bad? I really don't know if I want to take them again. I'm a little scared, and without treatment, the MAV has taken over completely. It feels like I was sitting on top of a big bowl of jello, and now I am IN THE JELLO!!! I don't want to go back to harsh drugs though!!! That topamax scared me soooo much. The side effects were too intense. The amitriptyline sucked too. I don't want my life to be one big medicine coma....

I would appreciate some suggestions on how to deal with this until I can get to the neuro. I'm really fed up, and loosing hope that I am ever going to get rid of this.

~B

Hi!

I am a bariatric patient... so I'm sort of LIKE the vegetarian, I don't get the B12 factor anymore in my stomach, because I had the full bypass. So, I have a vitamin blood test every 3-6 months to check my levels. Before taking something like B12 in mass quantities.. you should have had a blood test that tested your levels to begin with. My levels got down to 116.. which is dangerously low.. causing nerve damage low. I don't know for how long. I was trying to take sublingual tabs for this supplement and it wasn't enough for me. SO... I became anemic. Both in B12 and Iron. I had iron infusions and was told I needed to take weekly shots of B12. SHOTS... yes. It was 1ml which has 1000MCG of B12. Okay.. .if you took 1000MG of B12, you took too much at once. I take these shots daily.... yes, you heard me, daily. B12 actually cannot hurt you and there is no ability to take too much if you take that amount daily... My levels are still safe. However.. please check to be sure you took it in the MG??? Because that WOULD probably make you feel a bit dizzy/headaches.. etc. I HOPE you meant MCG..

I have to take these supplemented like this. You could probably do a sublingual tab once a week and be fine, since you don't have a bypassed tummy. There are vegetarian dots out there for sublingual use. Sublingual is "under the tongue" and they melt.

Vickie