PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy for 1 week after flying...need HELP!

lissa_6626
18-04-11, 06:13 PM
Hello All,
I am new to this forum because this is the first time in my life I have been dizzy like this. I see now after reading posts how dibilitating this can be! I have a lot of empathy for all of you suffering for years with dizziness, as I am with it for 1 week and had enough. Here's what took place prior to getting the dizziness:
Thurs. Apr. 7--took 45 min. flight with cabin pressure issues. We actually had to turn back half way there to fix the cabin pressure...which since we never got over 10,000 feet I assume cabin pressure was never fixed. My ears have never hurt so badly!!!! It almost brought me to tears. This was the shortest flight I ever took. I have been on dozens of cruises and flown around the world with no problems.The next fews days with no problems. No pain, no dizziness.
Sun. Apr. 10--return flight home. No issues.
Monday Apr. 11 to Present--in late mornings I start feeling very light-headed and dizzy. Almost like I could pass out. This was happening at first for 4-5 hours a day. Now it is happening for longer periods. But it seems to come-and-go (not constant). I also seem to lose balance and have to grasp on to something near me. It seems to be better when in the car. I am having difficulty concentrating and a general "fuzzy" feeling, kinda like I am out of it. Now anxiety is kicking in because this is completely weird. This is starting to make me scared to leave the comfort of my house and work is becoming more difficult. I have a slight discomfort or ringing sorta in my ear...but very faint along with intermittant headaches. I have been feeling very fatigued and sleeping more as this condition exhausts me when i am trying to focus at work. Please help!!! I am trying not to self-diagnose. I'm not sure if I should go to an ENT or Neurologist or who! Does anyone else have this problem?????

Louise
18-04-11, 07:30 PM
Hi Lissa

Lots of us have these problems or have had them. It's scary at times and yes it does make you anxious, this is quite a normal reaction. Tiredness also is normal, it's very exhausting concentrating on staying upright all the time.

Have you been to your doctors at all?? I personally would just to get checked over. It could be an ear infection, I am not saying it is that obviously but it could be something to do with the ears that could be diagnosed at the surgery and if not then you would get referral to ENT or Neurologist.

It all could clear up as quick as it started. With Labs for instance you can feel dizzy/off balance forr about 6 weeks or a little longer and it clears up.

I have heard of peopple taking flights or doing ferry trips and still feeling their on the ferry for a few day's after they get off. It's called Mal de
barquement syndrome. There are websites explaining this condition

If went to the doctors and got checked out you would be on the way to getting a diagnosis and the correct treatment.

In he meantime have a good look round the site and post any questions you have

lissa_6626
18-04-11, 10:56 PM
Thank you Louise! I did go ahead and make an appt. with an ENT. Hopefully there is an easy resolution. I have done research on MDD, but it seems that it typically is from longer travel...not a silly 45 min. flight. We shall see. I have had "sea legs" before after a cruise, and this feels completely different.

Louise
19-04-11, 04:09 PM
Yes I know what you mean, I went on a long ferry journey a few years ago and felt I was still on it for 24 hours after and the same with a flight last year, for 24 hours I feel am on it but it is quite a bit different from this feeling, it's more of a gentle sway rather than a complete woo hoo, the world is moving swoon!!!

I am sure there will be a resolution for you and please do let us know how you get on.

There is a thread called Dizzy Days, where lot of member's post so you could introduce yourself on there, I know lot of member's get support on there. x