Essential oils have been used for centuries to help cure virtually any type of ailment you could image. These oils actually occur naturally in different parts of plants, such as their roots, stems, seeds and flowers and are responsible for giving plants their unique smell. When these oils are extracted, they can be used for a variety of purposes, including as a way to treat vertigo.
There are so many different causes of vertigo. While it typically is an issue with the inner ear, brain and sensory nerve pathways can also contribute to vertigo. There are also a number of different triggers that can help cause these dizziness spells. Common triggers include alcohol, tobacco and caffeine use. Depression, stress and anxiety have also been known to trigger dizzy spells in those that suffer from vertigo.
This is where essential oils can come in.
Essential oils are known to encourage sleep, elevate mood, relieve stress and help you feel calm and relaxed, which can help dizzy spells. Many people also use essential oil to stay calm and avoid common stress triggers like tobacco and alcohol.
In addition to help preventing certain triggers associated with vertigo, essential oils can help decrease or relieve some of the symptoms that often come with vertigo spells. There are many people who struggle with vomiting and nausea as side effects of their dizzy spells—and essential oils can help eliminate those triggers.
It is important to remember that essential oils won’t cure all types of dizzy spells, but they can be a great way to stay calm and relaxed during or before reoccurring vertigo spells.
There are a few different types of essential oils that are commonly used to help with vertigo.
- Peppermint Oil- Common for boosting energy and relieving nausea.
- Cypress Oil- Can help with congestion—including inner ear congestion that can cause dizziness.
- Lemon Balm Oil- Known for improving sleep and helping relieve vertigo-associated nausea.
- Ginger Oil- Known for relieving nausea and boosting the circulatory system.
- Cypress Oil- Known for reducing congestion—common if you experience dizzy spells when congested in the ears.
- Basil Oil- Commonly used to treat nausea and motion sickness.
- Lavender Oils- Helps with anxiety and can promote better sleep.
These essential oils are all a great place to start and can be used to help get a hold of your vertigo issues when they occur. One of the best parts about trying essential oils is that they are safe and all natural and won’t come with any side effects—and they are easy to incorporate into your routine, all you need to do is to inhale their scent to start experiencing their unique benefits. Give essential oils a try—they may just be the all-natural solution to helping you ease your vertigo symptoms.